Thursday, December 6, 2012

My latest project....

      Oh Pinterest...wherever did I get my creative ideas before you existed?  It's an addiction, friends...that's the only way to describe the site!  Here we go....I found this on pinterest...
It's cute, huh?  Well, when I went to Joann Fabrics to buy the green felt, I spotted a bolt of sparkle green felt...doesn't that sound more exciting than just green felt?  I thought so, too!  So I bought 2 yards....used my 50% coupon since sparkle is seldom on sale in this world.  When I got home, I started measuring and figured out I could get 6 trees out of 2 yards!  Bonus!  So, thinking I remembered the picture above from pinterest, I cut my tree out...

Gee...I thought that's what the tree looked like!  But, alas, I like my tree so much better!  Yes, I free-handed this little project.  Folded the felt piece in half and drew my branches on the back side(non-sparkle side) and cut it out....THEN I LOOKED ON PINTEREST AND REALIZED I GOOFED!
But...I like my goof a lot!  So I made ornaments and even garland!  Jill, 3, took her tree home yesterday...I'm delivering 2 more trees to little girls in Shakopee...I think they'll like them too!

I know...thank you...you love it don't you?  But this project is a work in progress.  I used 3M "velcro" sticky strips on the back to stick the tree to the wall...you seem to be able to peel the tree off the wall if you need to...and move it from room to room.  That's what little girls like to do sometimes!  I cut skinny strips of felt for the garland.  Felt sticks to felt so you just push it on the tree.  For the ornaments, I used a small drinking glass and traced circles on different colored felt sheets...all of 28 cents each a sheet...and you get tons of ornaments from one sheet.  My pencil marks are all on the backs of the ornaments...I hot glued the little strips on the ornaments so the littles wouldn't put the "wrong" side on the tree!  Didn't want those pencil marks showing from the tracings!!  Here's a close-up...

Don't you just love that sparkle!!  I think I'll try cutting zigzag garland or just cut a little curve into it...a girl can't have too much garland on a tree, you know!  I would guess that each tree costs way less than $5 to make...and the possibilities for ornaments are endless!  Keep it simple, those little ones are going to re-arrange all day long!
Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment