Monday, March 11, 2013

Easy Peasy Baby Quilt

      Don't faint...yes, I'm posting 2 days in a row!  I love blogging, but sewing and grandchildren have kept me too busy at times to blog...and these topics are my favorite things to write about!!

     I just had to share this quilt I made last week!  My cousin and I saw this idea in a quilt shop in Wichita, KS, in January.  They sold the pattern, but you know, when you're a sewer/quilter, it's a challenge to try and make the quilt without buying the pattern...that affords you more money to spend on fabric!  So...I did it!

     You start by deciding the size quilt you'd like to make.  I used flannel fabrics and cut my strips 7" long by the width of the fabric...most flannels will be 42-45" wide.  I cut 8 strips twice...you will use one strip for the front and one for the back.  Lay each strip out, matching the 2 strips with wrong sides together.  I did not use batting at all in this quilt, but if you choose to, you would cut your batting an inch narrower than the strips.  When I had each "set" of strips laid together, I did a wide zigzag stitch the entire width of the fabric strip.  This just secures the fabrics together so they're easier to sew all together later.  Then sew all the strips together with 1/2" seams, with the 4 seams on the top of the quilt...that will be the front of the quilt...see below...
This is all the strips(doubled) sewn together...this is the back of the quilt.



This is the strips(doubled) sewn together and showing the front of the quilt.  See the raw seams on top?

If the outer edges of your quilt are different lengths...you might have to even up the edges by trimming with your ruler and rotary cutter.  Then...you stitch a 1/2" in all around the outside edge of the quilt, laying each seam open as you stitch.  You sit down with your quilt, covering your lap, and snip all the seams about 1/2" apart...even snipping the outside edge of the quilt.  Be careful not to cut into your stitches...I found these scissors that helped with the snipping...
They are called Easy Action Rag-Quilt Scissors!  Appropriate name for their use!  You can read about them HERE.  I bought mine at Joann Fabrics when they were on sale...regular price is $20.  You don't have to have these scissors, but you need to use a very sharp pair that clips that 1/2" seam well.

Here's what the quilt looks like after you have snipped every seam...
If you look closely, you'll see that I cut about every 1/2" but I did not measure...just eyeball it!

When everything has been cut, throw your quilt into the washing machine and dry it...all those cut and exposed seams will appear to "ruffle" and it's cute!  See...
and see...
Washing it again will ruffle the snipped seams even more...and here's the finished blankie...

All ready to be given to a new baby born into our church family!
Makes you wanna have a baby, huh?













3 comments:

  1. Nope...no desires for another baby here!! But perhaps the urge to quilt or sew! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi Rae & Mommy both love the blanket!!!

    ReplyDelete